Thursday, March 17, 2005

what next?

It becomes hard to concentrate as I stare at traffic and the glare from the windshield is blinding. Leaving ten minutes late can put you behind by thirty in this city. Everyday it becomes more difficult to get off on my exit and not just take the interstate all the way north. I remember contemplating living in a shady two bedroom apartment next to a Diamond Shamrock station in Colorado Springs... utilities included for $500/month.
There are points in life when you hope the wind might take you anywhere it blows, when a simple decision might lead you on path you had always known you would take. It's not a good thing to go to a job and resent it (duh, you're thinking), but people do it every day--a lot of people. I don't want to be that person, but my job is making me nuts. I'd go elsewhere, but my greed binds me-- good salary, paid vacation and health benefits. They're doing anything and everything to keep me, but my dreams lie elsewhere. So what do you do when you can't quite get to those dreams, and don't want to be left back at square one? Do you tough it out, keep your mouth shut and live for tomorrow? Maybe it depends on the time frame, just like 75% of the classes I've taken at ASU... you can't really stand them and wouldn't take them again, but need to get through them just to get through them and move on. Interestingly enough, on my graduation "exit survey" about ASU, when asked if I'd pursue the same major if given a chance to start over, I circled the "don't know" bubble. I'd like to think you really can't tell until you've given it more of a chance... I should have circled the "ask me in ten years" bubble (HA! As if that were an option...) Patience, that's all it takes, that's easy to say but difficult to follow through with when it's your life you're talking about... give me the strength to make it.
k

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home