Sunday, March 06, 2005

wine and feminism

As I sit here and enjoy a 70 dollar bottle of 92 rated pinot noir from Oregon, I can't help but wonder what it is exactly that makes a good wine. Sure, I enjoy it, but at a mere 22 years, how can I possibly know what makes a good wine? Ah Ha! Maybe that's just it... maybe what makes a good wine is simply the way it tastes.
It coats the glass ever so slightly, but dare me to find a single sediment. It's the perfect temperature, just a bit cooler than the room. As it first touches my tongue, there's a fullness, an inviting presence as it coats the rest of my mouth. No bitterness here, not even a hint, nothing that shouts at you, but as I swallow I notice it is somewhat spicy. It leaves my mouth satisfied, not dying for more, but not quite ready to put the glass down without another sip.
hmmmm... I think to myself, I'd drink this again. But how many times have I tried a wine and it made my nose scrunch up as if I'd just inhaled some noxious concoction from organic chemistry lab? Note to self: drink more expensive wine, with a high alcohol content, something like 14.4%, so at least I'll almost forget about enjoying it after I've had enough.
This glass of wine is well-deserved. I've just finished a somewhat gruelling paper for my spanish-american civ class about "la lucha chicana," the battle of the mexican-american woman to be "equal." Well, here's the point when I'm going to start going off...
I was walking to the MU on campus this week and there was a guy holding a door open for this girl walking a ways in front of me. They weren't "together," nay they probably didn't even know each other, but imagine my dismay as she says, "no way" and opens another one of the eight doors for herself. I wonder to myself if that really just happened as the poor fellow lowers his head, enters and doesn't look back. I wonder if he'll ever try that again.
What is wrong with people that they can't just appreciate a corteous gesture without reading so much into things? I wonder if that girl was thinking to herself, "if you let him hold that door open for you, all of the women in this world that have fought for equality will have lived and died in vain." So many women are a walking contradiction. I try to avoid this, although I'm probably guilty too, but at least I'm not so damn blatant about being a bitch... the key words here are tact, class and appreciation.
I'll admit it- I don't want women to be equal. They never will be either, because until we truly are exactly the same, we'll never be alike. After all, I'd like to believe it is the differences between the sexes that bring us together. No, I'm not attracted to men because they have the same "feminine" qualities I have... that would be and is damn annoying.
What I do want, however, is to be my own person, and stand and survive on my own. I don't want to have to depend on a man, I want to decide to depend on a man. Realize that men depend on us also. Too many women get so caught up in trying to be equal that they forget what they really want. We women can have everything we want, and even enjoy it when our men hold doors open for us or buy us flowers, "just because." Being a woman is something to be proud of- with our bodies we harbour life, we nourish and care for our children until they can do so for themselves. Hell if I'd ever relenquish that opportunity just to be "equal."
Here's the final message: open less doors for yourself, at least try love yourself the way you are and drink more expensive wine.
k

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home